How to join BAP
Who Can Join Beta Alpha Psi?
ANYONE can join Accounting Society. Once you are a member of Accounting Society you may wish to join Beta Alpha Psi. In order to become a member of Beta Alpha Psi, there are academic (GPA) requirements, plus a candidate period of one quarter, as well as additional attendance and service requirements.
There are academic requirements which must be met in order to be inducted into Beta Alpha Psi. These academic requirements are evaluated at the end of the candidate period, and are:
Academic Requirements for Undergraduate Students:
- Undergraduates must have declared a concentration in accounting, finance, or information systems, and
- Completed at least two years of collegiate business and non-business courses, and
- Completed at least one upper level (300 level) course in their declared area of concentration at Western Washington University, and,
- Attained a cumulative grade point average in upper level courses in their declared area of concentration of at least 3.0, and,
- Attained either:
- At least a cumulative grade point average (overall) of 3.0, or
- At least a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 of the most recent 45 credit hours.
Academic Requirements for Graduate Students:
- Must have a stated interest in accounting, finance, or information systems, and
- Completed at least one upper-level or graduate course in accounting, taxation, or financial reporting at Western or elsewhere by the end of the candidate period, and
- Attained a cumulative grade point average in the above-mentioned course or courses of at least 3.0 by the end of the candidate period.
To become a candidate, you must:
- Meet the academic requirements outlined above (or expect to meet them at the end of the candidate period)
- Pay a one-time, non-refundable BAP initiation fee of $75. This fee includes a pin and ceritficate.
- Pay Accounting Society dues (all BAP members and candidates must also be members of the WWU Accounting Society)
- Complete a BAP application form (and an Accounting Society Member Information Form, if needed)
- Agree to participate in certain professional and service activities as specified by the BAP application form
What are the Candidate Obligations?
During the candidate period of one quarter, candidates demonstrate their commitment to Beta Alpha Psi and its values by participating in BAP activities. This participation is supervised by the Reporting Secretary.
Candidate Requirements (for full details, see the BAP application form):
- Candidates MUST attend every regularly scheduled chapter meeting, unless excused by the Reporting Secretary.
- Candidates must also participate in at least 5 hours of BAP-sponsored service activities.
- Candidates are expected to be familiar with the national and chapter bylaws and the chapter’s operating procedures.
- Candidates must continue to meet the academic requirements for membership and must provide transcripts to verify this at the end of the candidate period.
- At the end of the candidate period, candidates must, by the specified deadline, complete the requirements on the last page of the BAP application form.
- Candidates MUST attend the induction ceremony in order to become a member.